Saturday, November 7, 2009

Uncertainty got you worried? Certainty could be worse for you.

Being a business owner, I have to stay up on the economy. It is important for me to know the latest concerns in the business community as they affect my business as well as my clients and partners. One common theme over the past few years has been uncertainty. The financial collapse and housing market woes lead to many other problems for us. Most of these problems have led us to feel uncertain about what to expect in the coming weeks, months and years.

As I work with individuals, I see more uncertainty. The state of our healthcare system is uncertain. We don’t know what will happen. There are debates, threats and even ultimatums flying around from Washington all the way to our living rooms. We know that there is change on its way, but we don’t know what that change will be.

While uncertainty can feel uncomfortable, I know another feeling that is far more difficult to deal with. It’s called certainty. Now, certainty seems like it should be comfortable and safe. We think that certainty is automatically good considering the negative feelings associated with uncertainty.

But this is not always the case. What about when problems are certain? How do we handle certainty when we know that it is a bad thing? That is where the exception comes into play. I talk to people about their health every day. As we discuss their goals and challenges, I continue to see the fear of uncertainty come into play. While I understand the concerns and often have some of the same concerns myself, I have trouble with a plan of action that seeks certainty and only certainty.

Why do I have trouble with this? I have trouble because certainty doesn’t mean it’s a positive outcome. In fact, I have seen a frightening trend toward certainty. There is a great deal of uncertainty that we are trying to avoid. The problem is, there are many certainties that are even worse.

When it comes to people and their health, there is one thing that is very certain. Health is declining and costs are rising. Healthcare has become very expensive in the US. Healthcare is used more and more every day. We continue spend more now than we ever have before. What’s worse, the costs continue to increase so we keep breaking our own records. We are hitting record highs for spending and record lows for overall health.

With this trend, you would think we would look for some uncertainty to help avoid this. It would be logical for us to start looking for new ways to live healthy, change the way we do things and create a NEW certainty.

My programs do this. My clients and their employees are already thinking this way. I wish I could say that we are all thinking this way. Unfortunately, the majority of people are still doing things the old way. Letting their health happen to them and depending on the doctor to fix things when they go wrong is the old way, but it is all too common. The process is certain and of course the results are certain. The old way yields the same old results- poor health and less happiness.

It is my mission to help businesses and employees create a new process that yields new results- better health and more joy as you control your own life. I know that it is uncertain in the beginning, but it’s all worth it when you avoid the problems that we know come along with the old process. That is the alternative when you seek certainty and only certainty. Problems are the only certainty when you don’t take charge of your health.

No comments: