Monday, April 27, 2009

Stress: What other problems is it causing?

Stress management is a vital part of a healthy lifestyle. We all deal with it. We all try to minimize it. We may even have a good plan in place to make sure that we are able to make it through our days. No matter what we do to manage your stress, it affects our lives.

But how?

A recent study has shown that stress is the related cause of 85% of all illnesses. Stress can certainly make us physically ill as well has mentally taxed. Stress brings all kinds of challenges into our lives that it actually affects many areas. In my experiences, I have seen many examples of this.
Let’s take a look at how people have had other (seemingly unrelated) areas affected by stress in their lives.

Nutrition- “Since my job has been more stressful, I have noticed that my appetite has been different.” “When I get home, I want to eat and eat and eat!”
--Bonnie
Exercise- “I have no energy to exercise since my shift changed at work.”
--Mark
Smoking- “I quit smoking until my sister had problems, now I need to smoke again to manage my stress.”
–-Renee
Back care- “I had quite a stressful week.” “My neck is killing me!”
--Brenda

Since my passion is coaching, I feel obligated to do more than just point out problems. Now that I have shown you some examples of stress causing issues in other areas of peoples’ lives, let’s take a look at how they were able to overcome it.

Nutrition- “I drink water in the evening so that I am not feeling hungry and I’m occupied.”
–-Bonnie
Exercise- “I have made time to exercise now that I realized that the more I did it the more energy I would have.” “Plus, now my stress level is better.”
–-Mark
Smoking- “I remembered why I quit smoking in the first place and was able to re-focus.” “Now I am managing my stress with exercise and deep breathing and still smoke-free.”
–-Renee
Back care- “By stretching my neck and back, I am able to feel much more relaxed.”
--Brenda

Problems are tough, but there is always a solution. If stress is the problem, there is still a solution out there for you. It is even more important to find that solution because, as these situations indicated, there may be other areas that stress is affecting.

No comments: