Monday, February 9, 2009

Reason to Change

Many of my clients have described their challenges for me. In fact, that is one of the first conversations we have. “What is standing between you and the life you want? “ is a question I ask very early in our interaction. I get answers ranging from one single thing to a laundry list of challenges that are making it difficult to change. After they have told me all of their challenges, I have a lot to think about. Even if they have only brought up one challenge, it is still important to focus on it and try to determine the significance. Clearly there is some significance, or we wouldn’t be talking about it. Often the question my clients ask is after they tell me their challenges is “What should I do?” or “What do you think I need to do?”

My response, while it varies, is always another question. Now, you may think that sounds like a frustrating conversation, but trust me, it is a very important question. It is a question that not everyone is ready to hear. The question (in one way or another) is “Why do you want to make this change?” Once I ask this question, I can really start to understand where they are coming from.

The responses I get are never the same. Sure, there are common answers like: to feel better or to have more energy, but very seldom do I hear the same thing twice. This is an interesting concept for me. In fact, it reinforces the need for an individualized approach. If we all have different reasons to make changes, shouldn’t we have different approaches? I think so. That is why this question is so important.

Another reason that this question (and the answer to it of course) this:

You will make a change if you have a reason.

Finding out why someone wants to change is the key to helping them get and stay motivated to do so. We all know the facts around health. The basics have been common knowledge for centuries. If you eat less and move more, you will lose weight. That is no secret. The secret and the question that is asked by most of my clients is: “How do I stay motivated”? When it comes down to it, as long as you know why you are making a change, you can stay motivated to make it.

You just have to remember that important reason that made you want to change in the first place. That reason doesn’t go away. It may be difficult to stick with it or think about it regularly, but it never goes away. I will tell clients to write down the reason they want to change. When they do this it reinforces the importance that they have placed on it. With that importance staying conscious, it can be honored. When you honor the importance of your life, you are honoring yourself. Doesn’t it feel good when others honor us and hold our wellbeing in an important light? Well, we need to do that for ourselves too. You are important. Your health is an important reason to change.

No comments: