Monday, January 12, 2009

Success in wellness, life and business

As a consultant, I spend a great deal of time working with my clients on their strategy. It is still a new concept, but businesses that look at their employees’ health as a system benefit in many ways. These companies see health care costs, medical claims and lost productivity decreased. They also see employee satisfaction, retention and attraction increased as a result of positive culture changes. The employees working for companies that have invested in them feel appreciated, motivated and genuinely enjoy the atmosphere of their company.

Now, you may be thinking that this sounds like a corporate wellness article. While it does (and is) about the principles of corporate wellness, the key word here is not corporate. The key word is wellness. What I have noticed is that wellness is wellness. Health is health and the importance it rings true in all areas of life. For that fact, life is life and no matter what part of it we are looking at, there are common factors that lead to success and common factors that lead to failure.

Note: as I opened this article, I mentioned some of the positives that companies experience when they implement my programming. Is it any wonder that these results are possible?

Let’s examine the cause and effect:
Company implements healthy options, education and support for their employees and in turn sees success in multiple areas of business.
Let’s break it down further and find out why:
Each employee in the company is using the options, education and support to make changes that improve their lives. They do well and…the company does well.

It is exciting to me when a group of people realize that they can help each other. It is just as exciting when an individual within that group realizes they can help themselves. In order for the group to be successful, individuals need to make the choice to change. When they do that, great things happen, both for them and for the group.

I am involved in this process day in and day out, so it can become a challenge to look at it from other perspectives. Although it is a challenge, I wanted to write this article to emphasize the importance of health in our lives. I guess the moral of the story is that success is very fulfilling. When we set goals and take the steps to achieve them, we are rewarded. It is rewarding for me to help people succeed. I have discovered that it is also rewarding for my clients to help their people succeed.

No comments: