Monday, November 10, 2008

Freedom of Choice

On Tuesday November 4th Americans everywhere exercised their right to vote. In what some call the epitome of freedom, millions cast their ballots to choose leadership at many levels. In our democracy, we often emphasize how important it is for us to choose. Freedom of choice is a right that countless soldiers have fought for and it is what we base our national ideals on.

On my way to the polls, I thought about the election process and really felt like a good American. I knew that my choice was contributing to the process that makes our country great. I was going to make a difference in the results that were reported that night. As I stood in line, I continued this thought and I came to the conclusion, that while this is a monumental decision, it is only one decision. I wondered how many people that chose to make it to the polls to cast their ballots were able to choose to do something healthy for themselves today.

The conclusion I reached on election day was that, while I made an important choice, it wasn’t the only choice I made. I am an American every day and I make choices every day. When I make those choices, I truly make them. I am free to choose in all areas of my life. As an American, that is a right I share with all of you. We are all free to choose healthy habits every day. For that reason, ‘exercising your rights’ has a significant meaning to me every day, not just on election day.

No comments: